Google

Sunday, September 30, 2007

What factors increase my risk for type 2 diabetes?

To find out your risk, check each item that applies to you.

  • I am 45 or older.

  • I am overweight or obese (see the body mass index [BMI] in table 4).

  • I have a parent, brother, or sister with diabetes.

  • My family background is African American, American Indian, Asian American, Pacific Islander, or Hispanic American/Latino.

  • I have had gestational diabetes, or I gave birth to at least one baby weighing more than 9 pounds.

  • My blood pressure is 140/90 or higher, or I have been told that I have high blood pressure.

  • My cholesterol levels are not normal. My HDL cholesterol ("good" cholesterol) is 35 or lower, or my triglyceride level is 250 or higher.

  • I am fairly inactive. I exercise fewer than three times a week.

Checking My Weight

BMI is a measure used to evaluate body weight relative to height. You can use BMI to find out whether you are underweight, normal weight, overweight, or obese. Use table 4 to find your BMI.

  • Find your height in the left-hand column.
  • Move across in the same row to the number closest to your weight.

The number at the top of that column is your BMI. Check the word above your BMI to see whether you are normal weight, overweight, or obese. If you are overweight or obese, talk with your doctor about ways to lose weight to reduce your risk of diabetes or pre-diabetes.

No comments: